G60 G60
Páginas: [1]   Ir Abajo
  Imprimir  
Autor Tema: Entrevista a Javier Rollón  (Leído 4929 veces)
28 Mayo, 2011, 11:26:47
qumake
Usuario Habitual
Desconectado Desconectado

Entrevista a Javier Rollón

Fiuuuu soooooo much hours spent with the CRJ development.... (PART I)

These days there’s probably not many more other products discussed such extensively as records braking CRJ-200 by JROLLON PLANES. We were lucky as Javier was so kind and gave us an interview.

Hi Javier thank you for spending time with our questions. As I guess many people want to know more about the JROLLON PLANES background let us start with bit generic question – Why do you make planes for X-Plane. Which part of the development progress is the most satisfying one?

I make them because I saw the amount of 3D cockpits where not so big and good. For me the best satisfaction is when I use the trackir and move around the cockpit watching from inside, outside. Someone told me to pilot real planes (sailors) is not seeing the instruments but trying to know what speed I had, altitude etc, always looking outside, and must say that it was great.
    When you finish a plane and make the video taking beauty shots – that is the best moment on the production of them.

Well, this explaines why are your movies such a nice – best thing we do when we enjoy it. Sonrisa How long do you use X-Plane? And how long do you create models for it?

I used X-Plane from version 7, but not so much. I started seriously at 8.64. The last version, and decided to make the 3D cockpit of the Texan that made Bobo for free. So I believe 3 years and a half ago, started making planes for x-plane.

Do you have any Flight Simulator experience prior using X-Plane? Even development experience?

Yes… Microsoft Flight Simulator from FS4 (in diskettes) to FSX, Combat flight simulators as the Amiga F18 Interceptor, Janes ones, Space shuttle (in diskettes), etc etc.. I tested every simulator came out since Spectrum 48k.
    Development for simulators.. only X-Plane. But I worked in game industry since 1996.

Your previous X-Plane planes was more GA. What led you to choose the CRJ-200 for a development?

Well actually the CRJ is the second payware airplane.. Even second, because Texan was only the cockpit.. And after the Texan came the Javelin. The Seamax and Mentor are made between those long process waitting programming. I always have to be in love with the plane. Both, the cockpit and exterior. Usually as you can see I have chosen open cockpits to make good VFR. This one – the CRJ was a challenge and I wanted to tackle that challenge. But I used a small one airliner. No autothrottle. Still wanted the sensation of pilot, fly the plane.. not a computer.

I see and I fully understand your „fell-in-love syndrome“ Sonrisa When did the development started? Was this an instant decision or had you this idea in mind for a longer period?

No.. as said.. I fall in love instantly.. No long ideas what I want to do. Maybe the only idea I had for long, was make the Space Shuttle. I love more space than air.
    After the Javelin, I just posted in Spanish forum a poll.. what people would like to see.. Between ATR and CRJ I chosed CRJ, been almost the same.. Just because I had more experience in jets (only Javelin) than in turboprops. Because both airplanes are almost the same systems for me.

What was your intention about the complexity of simulated systems? Was it clear from beginning you will try to get the plane as close as possible to the real one? Or it become obvious as the development progressed?

I had something in mind. I wanted to make the FMS inside the plane. I didn’t see other, and I wanted to have that one.. But I just started the plane without knowing how difficult would be finding a programmer. Trully I believe that if I had two good programmers with a production budget, spending full time work, we could do any plane in 1 year full systems. Of course it is desired to have also real pilots, etc…
    But when I started I was alone.. Just wanted to make the 3D and made videos to show the plane and programmers offer their services to continue the work.

How many hours did you spend on this project?
    I didn’t count them…. fiuuuu soooooo much. Sometimes not sleeping.

I like that precise time period specification Sonrisa How did you get together with Anton?

I published the videos, and after a miss relationship with a programmer, I gave up and went for summer vacations. While I was out, someone called Anton sent me a video showing his systems inside the A320 he was making, asking me help in modelling. I told him…. I make your modelling if you help me in the systems of the CRJ. He agree, and started with the systems while I modeled the plane externally.

How long you have decided to publish on forum “Really Bad news. CRJ project Cancelled…for now.”. Was that a tough call?

When I saw it was no possible to continue. It was also a calling to someone please continue the project. It worked because 1 week later or even less.. Philipp called the door. Was very tough. I should had taken that decision 2 months before… but that is life, you learn.

Will you tell us more what happened Anton was not able to continue? I still feel from what you’re continuously saying you stayed friends.

Yes, we are friends. I must say that I have a friend in Moscow, and he has one in Madrid for sure. Of course the relationship has became a little colder after the break, but it is something it should be done. Anton had personal problems that I am not going to tell, that made him impossible to pay attention at the big task we where at. So I decided after a few months on that situation, not going forward, not backward to break, and try to think in solutions.
    Of course he let me use all the source code. Philipp had to work hard to finish the plane, but without the code from Anton that would not possible.

How many offers for a help with this plugin part came after that announcement?

Many, but trully almost all were not professional. I meant.. All were 18-2x years old programmers that or where at the university ending the programming course not knowing OpenGL programming but  strong in desire to make the CRJ finish.. until Philipp.. that I was lucky he was ended a work he had… and returning to Germany…. so he had 3 months for me working full time.
    The difficulty in this project was find the right people programming. I was lucky.. but spending 2.5 years.

Who comes first with the idea of using embedded vasFMC?

Philipp, because he made vasFMC for xplane.

Form today’s point of view it looks like a good decision. Where did you take information about the plane? Was Bombardier supporting you somehow? Or they’ve ignored to care about such a “childish” business? Giñar

Ignored. I sent them two emails and none reply. Well still the plane is finished, no real organization contacted me to make me offers working on real simulators etc. Still they think all of this, is a game I believe. Anyway I had lot of information from 4 real pilots that were the ones that yes, emailed me. (well one of them I emailed him after buying his book)

Your job in real life is a graphic designer – correct? Have you had chance to use your work experiences for your X-Plane models or is your job something totally different?

Yes, of course I have used all my experience. And I have more. Lets say.. when I entered X-Plane, the 3D engine was 5 years back from that moment games, in graphics and fx. Now we are closing to actual game graphics.

We all know you are creating default stuff for new X-Plane. Is there any difference between creating a new default model for X and your own models?

In my models I an the one that I decide what I want. Systems, graphics.. whatever. In Laminar of course Austin decides, but I must say that he leaves me nice freedom making textures, systems etc. In systems I cannot do so much that is far from default ones an little programming that I am learning. But I don’t know openGL programming so….. Anyway I believe the planes we are making (not only mines) are the best default planes in any flight simulator ever.
    We want leave external vendors possibility to sell their own same versions of default ones.

We’re looking forward Giñar What tool do you use for your excellent presentation movies?

3DStudio Max and Premiere.

Which of you planes do you like most? Or depends on your mood which plane you fly virtualy?

I’m am in the hangar.. but I like so much the MU-2 from Tom. But I am more VFR virtual pilot. I loved the Mentor inside flight simulator, that is because I made the turbo mentor. Also loves helicopters but I have not experience making their dynamics…. Soooo, I don’t work with them.

When we talk about your other aircrafts – why did you choose “unfinished” real plane project – the Javelin?

Because also loves fighters… and the Javelin was like a F-18 but civil one. Loved when I saw. I didn’t know it was unfinished or the company broke. Even I sent an email to the company to let me use some data from them. Of course no reply! haha.

Looks like it is „manufacturer‘s habit“ Sonrisa When we were discussing further plans in the winter this year you were concerned about the support of the CRJ. Is there any new perspective to look at this issue now?

Problems with the CRJ? No problem right now. I said that before the plane was finished. If I didn’t have the security of supporting from the programmer, I wouldn’t release it. But Philipp is making an amazing job out there in support! No problems in that.

Great, nice to hear that. After the troubles in January, at one moment you decided to be on your own when the C programing takes a part. Did you get any further with the C programing? Or did you change planes as the situation is completely different now?

I am learning C++. Slowly but learning. I learned about Turbo Pascal, and Java Script long time ago, so I knew something of logic but this is tough!!! haha. Anyway…. I have been succeeded making small plugins for the Mentor and the 747 cockpit.
    In this situation with not so big continuous support out there. Every project have to find help from different people. I hope Philipp stay with me, but he has his own plans for sure… Of course he is inside the project right now… But who knows what can happen on future. We are not a big company. Only have been 3 crazy guys making planes.

Most of the X-Plane users “flies” just for fun. I suppose when anyone starts to develop planes such a complexity you provide, the “fly-for-fun” era ends. Do you still have time just to enjoy the virtual flight?

As said.. no… I am inside “hangar” everytime.. but I don’t agree with people that only flies for fun.. They were awaiting an IFR plane like the CRJ for years. I can truly tell you, because the plane broke the record of selling the first day.. FAAAAAR away from my second one.
« Última modificación: 28 Mayo, 2011, 11:36:07 por qumake »

28 Mayo, 2011, 11:28:41 #1
qumake
Usuario Habitual

Re: Entrevista a Javier Rollón

Fiuuuu soooooo much hours spent with the CRJ development.... (PART II)

Your model is quite “hungry” resource-wise. You’ve produced a test tool which tells user in advance if your add-on will works for him. Before the question is laid, let me appreciate that way – this is really fair-play and thanks for this. Now the question – have you even thought about any kind of a light version of your plane, what some others do?

No… Ok.. here is something people still don’t understand. I don’t want MAKE anyone understand anything but if they don’t want have bad experiences on future they should understand. If you want better graphics, and better systems emulation you need better computers! The better computers are there for 2 years or more, so they are not expensive. BUT x-plane users are mac ones.. and most of the mac (not the professionals) are made for Photoshop the higher professional way. Even lots of people has laptops… and they should see that a laptop is not good for playing with the planes are going to come… here.
    If they want to have fun, I would say. Don’t buy my plane. If they want to go seriously.. learning systems.. and making good procedures, then I would say. first buy a new computer to let you have 60-80 frames inside (to have 25 in strong situations), then buy trackir or any system to move your head and move comfortable around the cockpit (there are lots of people that still complains about 3D cockpits).
    Well I see this plane as an step forward. Others see it like an step backwards because they cannot manage quite well the plane. I would compare this, as the day someone had the first engine car. All the others with horses, liked their horses. I AM TALKING INSIDE XPLANE. In Microsoft all this talking is pass.. Lots of 3D only cockpits around….. BUT even compared in performance with FSX.. I have more frames in my CRJ (80fps) same computer than the 747 pmdg (15fps)

Fair enough. Have you had a chance a real CRJ-200 pilot was testing your plane?

Yes I could. But I had no time to let him use it properly. Even he hadn’t time and not X-Plane.. but he gave me sooooo much information about how it should fly and systems. We are still in contact. I believe he will say for sure the plane is not like the real one. I never flew in a real one.. but I want improve the physics of it on future.

And did you sit in the CRJ-200 cockpit to get proper “look and feel”?

I asked several times.. Even knowing pilots the only solution give was “if you buy a ticket and I am in that flight (that they don’t know until the day before or so) then you will be be inside IF the commander let me (because that possibility pilot is second officer)” so no. Only my girlfriend was in one.. and made lots of photos of the cabin.

Tell me about that – I have the same experience Sonrisa Well, what’s your next thing? Could you tell us a bit of your plans?

Right now I am a bit frustrated. Selling are going ok.. but people are complaining and complaining and complaining about what they think the plane should be, and everyone has a different opinion. The continuity my private projects depends in how is sold this plane. If it is not succeeded.. then I only will work with Laminar if they let me continue. If I cannot continue in Laminar, because work finished after release of xp10, then I will make little projects by my own. Little planes.
    But I want to say, that it is incredible, that we are so little in civil simulation. That you go to AVSIM on flightsim. or other forums.. and the talking on Microsoft are big… the talking of xplane nothing. News in simulation portals are always flight simulator..and even trains.. but not x-plane ones….
    Soooo when I see how.. I cannot speak in a forum like the .org because I am banned. … see those stupid fights between forums.. and freeware are better that payware… and why I should pay 60$ if I have this for free… and those silly stuff.. .then I feel more and more frustrated and don’t have energy to continue.
    Of course I am glad the plane is out after 2.5 years.. and I know people have to be critic.. but not DESTROY critics as I can see continuously on forums.
    I think X-Plane old simmers mostly don’t like things change. 3D cockpits, all about those beautiful graphics…. They just want to fly the old way because it is good enough for them.
    Same happens in microsoft simulator.. where still there are plenty of people using 2D panels inside fs9… They just like it and they won’t move. I am not saying that they are wrong.. but… then…. what I am doing here? I am not going to make here 2D cockpits. I want to look forward not backwards…… so.. if people are not asking 3D then, I believe if cannot continue with Laminar (I hope yes), I will move to another graphical business…… Don’t know.. cars… FPS games…. don’t know.
    I hope see a clear response about the CRJ.. but right now the .ORG is just a desert with little palms around talking about the CRJ… so maybe people are not so interested.
    Anyway…
    Thanks for the interview.. now I am going to continue with the cabin of the default 747 for Laminar.

(me encantan este tipo de imágenes en modo wireframe ...Cool)

Well, hearing all this, an old Czech saying comes to my mind – there’s no man in the world who could be properly appreciated by all the people – and this is probably that case as well. I started my career as a software developer already in MS-DOS times and I can still remember people complaining about all those unnecessary and silly graphical features which only slows down computers…
    Anyway, my experience tells satisfied people do not speak at all and clever unsatisfied people asking polite. Therefore you hear only unhappy bunnies. Let me use another saying, a Japanese one this time: They say “Nana korobi ya oki” what means seven falls, eight getting up.
    I hope, as the time flows, you will see there’s a lot people satisfied with your work and so you will stay with us and continue to make excellent planes.

Many thanks and good luck Javier Giñar

----------------------------

Fuente: http://xplane.cz/en/2011/05/26/cas-straveny-vyvojem-crj/

nota personal.: me he quedao'  Huh? con lo del límite de 12000 caracteres
« Última modificación: 28 Mayo, 2011, 11:41:49 por qumake »

28 Mayo, 2011, 13:34:01 #2
bokepacha
Moderador Global Foro
Superusuario

liberate tute me ex inferis

Re: Entrevista a Javier Rollón

Mejor no te canses...

http://www.x-plane.es/modules/smf/index.php?topic=4326.msg52939#msg52939

Cierro aqui

Tags:
Páginas: [1]   Ir Arriba
  Imprimir  

Ir a:  

www.x-plane.es.
Página creada en 0.054 segundos con 19 queries.